Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Benefits of Positive Thinking in My Life!

The list is immeasurable of all the benefits positive thinking has had in my life. Just two years ago I was a stay at home mom ready to join the corporate world again. I had two boys ages 1 and 3 years old and I was at the point where I missed working, but I still wanted to be there for my children. I thought about putting them in daycare for half the day, but the weekly cost was outrageous! Then life happened, and I found myself becoming a single mom to two boys who NEEDED to work. I was nervous, sad, and worried about my future. But one day something changed in me, I decided that I was going to overcome my circumstances and change my life completely.


First up, I needed to find a place to live. I had two months to do so and I was lucky to have money in my savings account to pay for a new place to live. But who on Earth is going to rent to a woman with no job and two children?! I didn’t let those little details bother my search. I made a list of my must have’s….yes, I am being choosy with no job. My list: Two bedrooms, at least one bath, full size washer/dryer hookup, parking, and not more than $1200 a month. I should also mention, that I decided to move 120 miles from my hometown. Away from the life I’d known and away from family and friends. I was 30 years old and ready to step out on a limb. I took two trips to the area I wanted to move and looked at maybe 5 different rentals. I found my favorite of them all and I submitted my application and put down a deposit. I had to wait a few days to hear back, but I was content, knowing that even without a job, I would move into the place. I took out a piece of paper with my list of must-haves and I wrote my full name with the address of the new place. And I didn’t look at another place. Because I knew, if I had faith the answer was yes, then I wouldn’t need to look any further. However, I was PUMPED when two days later the property manager called to say they decided to give me the place even though I had no employment at the time. That is a benefit of positive thinking in MY LIFE!

Next up, I need to find a J-O-B! My savings would only carry me for 3-4 months if I didn’t splurge on any extras. I moved into my new apartment in mid-February 2011. It was liberating and a bit intimidating at the same time, I cannot tell a lie about that. But I didn’t let those thoughts consume me or get into the universe. Because I believe it’s true what they say, “what you put out, you will receive.” I had a series of interviews with an Urgent Care office to be the Office Manager of their new facility. I’d had three interviews and I was pretty confident I had the job. It was just a few miles from my apartment and the people were very nice. Imagine my surprise when they’d decided to give the position to someone else! This was a time I could have lost my positive momentum. But, I wouldn’t let that get me down. When I told family and friends I didn’t get the job, I told them in a matter of fact tone. I remember telling some I was not worried because there was a better position waiting for me. I’m sure they all thought I was NUTS! LOL!

I’d been living in my new city for about three weeks and I had two other interviews with companies, but neither of them was exactly the right fit. They were both more a part time basis and with children, it would cost me money to work there. So I had to decline both positions. Bold, I know! In the third week a family friend said she would send out an email to her friends to see if anyone was hiring. I thought that was cool and didn’t expect much from it. Well, let me tell you! Within an hour, I had 60 NEW EMAILS from the email she mailed out! All kinds of job positions, searching tips, company links, and intern offers! I felt so blessed and thankful to have such people in my life. But one email stood out. It was a position that was farther than I wanted to drive and it was only for four months while a woman went on maternity leave. My thought was, the money is great for me and that will give me time to make money and find a full time position. I interviewed for the position and got the job in the same day! And two years later, I still work for the company as a full time employee. That is a benefit of positive thinking in MY LIFE!

And now I am embarking into the next chapter of my life. I have continued to make strides in this life of mine and I do not let fear or doubt get in my way. I make a vision board every year to document my goals and progress. Obviously, I have minor setbacks just like everyone else, but the difference is I do not change my mind set. I keep on with positive thinking knowing there is a reason for everything. And sometimes bad things have to happen to make you appreciative of all the good things you have, big or small. The benefits of positive thinking will turn your life around!



6 comments:

  1. Positive thinking is so important. I can see why negative people exist because t takes so much faith to see good when everything around you is crumbling to pieces.

    I meant to make a vision board but I haven't done it. It's not too late I need to get on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late to make a vision board! And I update throughout the year. I use Post-it brand Self-Stick Cut-To-Fit Unframed Bulletin Board 23x18. I've had the same one for the last two years and it's still in good shape.

      Delete